Friday, September 9, 2011

Cursive Writing-The End!

Is anyone really upset about the end of cursive writing?

I’m not. Cursive writing was hard for me to learn, and besides signing my name once in a while, I don’t use it.

I have never been able to read cursive, only print. Thank goodness I have not run across a teacher who writes in cursive!

A few of my friends take notes in cursive, but most of them do not. Most people I have talked to say that while they learned it in school, they never used it outside of middle school.

Schools are arguing that keyboard skills are more important for students to learn. I agree. Everything is heading towards computers and students need to be able to roll with the times.

But was the decision to take cursive writing off the curriculum based on the fact that it’s outdated, or that it is not on a standardized test? It’s called teaching to the test.

To be fair, cursive writing may teach fine motor skills and other beneficial traits, but is it something that you can only get by learning cursive writing? No, that is why art exists.

What about knowing how to sign your signature? I learned how to sign my name that way…and it’s the only thing I can write in cursive.

My advice to young students is to learn how to write your name as messy as you can make it and there is your signature! People won’t know the difference and you may even be mistaken for a doctor!

Handwriting is not going away, it is simply be reevaluated and the outdated material is simply being taken off the syllabus.

It’s about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment