Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chewing gum is annoying


Num, num, num, chomp, chomp, chomp, squish, squish, squish…..and then the screaming begins.

Chewing gum is popular and has been for a long time. I get it. It gives people something to do with their mouths and they are satisfied with the unique flavor of collected saliva and dead tissue.

Not so bad. Look around you in the classroom, in the dining halls, movie theater, anywhere you go you will see people chewing gum. Everyone, your grandparents, parents, siblings, and classmates are chewing.

Why? What is so important about this tiny strip of chewable, flavored, irritating piece of food?

It can give people something to focus on when they are bored. It helps people stop bad habits like smoking, or biting their nails, and gets them hooked on another habit!

Look around you, what do you see? A bunch of people chewing gum, most with their mouths open chewing as hard as they can and attempting to outdo each other when it comes to noise.

Pop! There goes another bubble. In class during a test! What is wrong with this picture?

Are we not already rude enough by texting during a verbal conversation or IMing when we are talking on the phone to a different person? We have to add auditory annoyance to the mix?

Personally, I think gum chewing is perfectly fine, when it is done discreetly and with sensitivity others nearby.
I ask, nay, plead with you to be respectful to those around you and either put the gum away, or let it be neither seen nor heard!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Chewing gum has long been a pet-peeve of mine.

    I figure it is my job to teach my kids not to be rude. My daughter chews regularly - more than I would like. I maker her throw it out if she is not being considerate.

    By the way, I'm wondering if you are giving this blog a fair chance by calling it by such a generic name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog post Mary - very true! It is very irritating...

    Although I'll shamefully admit I do snap my gum occasionally, except I don't chew it rudely. lol.

    Next time you hear someone obnoxiously chewing gum, say this to them:

    "If you can't chew gum politely, go find a farm and hang out with the cows since you sound like one chewing cud."

    Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie, I can't see you saying something like that to anyone. Though it would make me laugh if you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jess. I tried a different writing style than I normally would. I hoped it would make it more impactful (it helps that I love sarcasm.

    You are right Mr. Fox, The name is generic, this is becuase I totally blanked on what to call it...

    I also think it is teachers responsibility to monitor their classes and stop disruptive behavior, even if its for gum chewing. A teacher I had in high school did this and got some good results.

    ReplyDelete